The following was written by Dr. David A. Jernigan. Dr. David A. Jernigan originally formulated the JN botanical remedies, but no longer has any affiliation with the company.
“Question: I cannot tolerate even minute amounts of alcohol. I want to take the Jernigan Nutraceutical products. What can I do?
There are a few options for people who cannot physically tolerate alcohol. First of all there are different forms of this intolerance as outlined below:
Group 1 – People who may drink alcohol, possibly a little wine every now then, but who know they feel the effects of the alcohol after the first sip and get brain-fog and fatigue.
Group 2 – People who never drink but know that remedies containing alcohol mildly aggravate their symptoms.
Group 3 – People who are recovering alcoholics and don’t want to risk tasting even the small amount of alcohol in the remedy.
Group 4 – People with severe chemical sensitivities, including alcohol and cannot bear even the least amount of alcohol.
First of all if must be understood that the Jernigan Nutraceutical liquid remedies have 20% alcohol by volume. To put this in perspective, an average dropperful (A dropperful is considered to be one good squeeze of the bulb even though the dropper only looks half full) will hold approximately 32 drops of liquid remedy. At 20% alcohol a dropper contains about 6 ½ drops of alcohol.
The alcohol is present in the remedy to serve very necessary purposes. Distilled water and alcohol are used in the extraction process of the plants. The distilled water will extract, or pull out certain types of medicinal substances from the plant material, while alcohol will extract or pull out other types of medicinal substances from the plants which would otherwise not be extracted by the water process. By using a hydro-alcoholic extraction process such as this more of the various types of active ingredients can be obtained from plants resulting in a broader acting medicine.
Alcohol in a remedy serves another purpose. Alcohol preserves the final remedy and keeps microbes and fungi from growing in the remedy once the bottle has been opened and the dropper is exposed to open air and accidental contamination, as would occur if you breathed on or touched the glass portion of the dropper to your mouth or tongue.
Group 1 and 2 – The liver is the primary organ responsible for detoxifying alcohol and its breakdown component, aldehyde. Often the people in group 1 have a systemic overgrowth of Candida yeast due mostly to antibiotic usage disrupting the friendly bacterial flora in the gut that normally kill and keep Candida from growing out of control. As you may know yeast consumes sugar and converts it into alcohol as is the case when one is making champagne. The yeast in your body is also fermenting the sugars from your diet, even if you are not consuming refined sugar! Even if you have no obvious signs of yeast infection, like thrush or vaginal yeast symptoms, if you are so sensitive that drinking a few sips of wine effects you, then it is likely you are on the verge of being “hung over” with the resulting brain fog and fatigue from the micro-brewery in your gut!
Because so many people suffering with Lyme have been on massive amounts of antibiotics and have yeast overgrowth, one must assume that yeast is a problem. I have used and clinically tested many of the best herbal and nutraceutical solutions for treating people with yeast overgrowth and found them to either be too weak or to be too strong. While Oregano or Olive Leaf Extracts are powerful, most of the people I have tested were allergic to them or they too kill off friendly bacteria. High-Allicin Garlic and Capryllic acid supplements are excellent though can be slow to act and seem to have difficulty finishing the job in the long run. There are a few good homeopathic combination remedies for yeast infections available at your healthfood store. Because of the fact that even conventional medicine has very few safe and effective anti-yeast medicines, I sought out and found growing wild in Kansas what many consider now to be the most effect anti-fungal and anti-yeast herb found to date. It is now available only through Jernigan Nutraceuticals as the proprietary formula Yeast Ease™. It is the most effective yet the most gentle remedy found out of thousands of herbs clinically tested.
Once the process of helping the body kill the Candida yeast is under way, then it is time to reintroduce friendly bacteria back into the gut. These products are readily available from your healthfood store or doctor and are globally referred to as probiotics. Get a probiotic supplement that contains as many types of different friendly bacteria as possible. Many women know that eating cultured yogurt is a good way to replenish friendly bacteria, however this only supplies the body with one or two different types of bacteria, such as Acidophilus species.
No matter what, one must give the liver the trace mineral called Molybdenum (Ma-lib-denum). Molybdenum is a necessary component for the liver enzymes that breakdown alcohol and its byproduct aldehyde. As a matter of fact, if one were to take 3 of the Jernigan Nutraceutical Molybdenum™ capsules 10-15 minutes before taking your liquid remedies or before drinking a bit of wine, no side-effects of the alcohol would be experienced. Taking Molybdenum before drinking alcohol is so effective that it renders one virtually impervious to becoming drunk or even getting a buzz. Molybdenum should be taken to manage the die-off toxins of bacteria and yeast no matter what anti-yeast medicine you take. As an added benefit, Molybdenum has been used for over 12 years to antidote the potential toxicity and allergic tendencies for virtually every type of pharmaceutical or natural medicine.
Group 1 Summary:
- Help the body naturally bring down the population of yeast, the source of your alcohol sensitivity. Take Yeast Ease™ (General Recommendation…1-4 droppers, 2-4 times per day for 1-3 months).
- Re-inoculate the gut with friendly bacteria with a broad-spectrum probiotic, Total Probiotics™ by NutraWest, Inc. is a favorite. (General Recommendation…1-2 capsules 1-2 times per day for as long as you are taking antibiotics or if not taking antibiotics then take for at least 2 months).
- Detoxify the alcohol and aldehyde using Molybdenum™. (General Recommendation…1-3 capsules 1-3 times per day for 1 month or as directed by your healthcare professional).
Recovering alcoholics have a difficult time because even the taste or smell of alcohol in a remedy can trigger addictive cravings. All of the recommendations for Groups 1 and 2 should be followed, with the exception of the Yeast Ease which contains alcohol. The best way to be able to still use the Yeast Ease and other Jernigan Nutraceutical liquid supplements is to do one or more of the following:
- Dissipating the alcohol by water bath…Put the required dosage of the liquid remedy in a small glass and warm the glass gently by placing the glass in a small pot of water that is only hot enough to still be comfortable to keep your finger in without being uncomfortable. Many plant substances are heat sensitive some of which can be destroyed by as little as 110°, just slightly hotter than a high fever, so more heat is not recommended. Allow the glass to sit in this water bath for 10-15 minutes, after which no alcohol should be remaining. This technique is much like when one is cooking with wine. The alcohol in the wine cooks off, however the taste of the wine remains, so if one needs to not even taste something that might remind them of alcohol then the dosage should be mixed with a healthy juice with a strong enough flavor to effective mask the taste. Mixing the dosage in a small amount of fruit yogurt can be effective as well.
- Dissipating the alcohol by open air…Put the required dosage of the liquid remedy over the surface of a non-flavored rice cake (available in most grocery or health food stores) and allow the remedy to sit for 15-20 minutes to allow the alcohol to evaporate. This process can be sped up by placing the remedy-saturated rice cake on the open door of a toaster oven or conventional oven so that only gentle warm heat can pass over the cake so as not to damage the ingredients of the remedy. Eat the cake as is, or if taste masking is important then a light amount of an organic fruit spread can be put on top.
People who are so chemically sensitive that very little of a medicine can be taken orally need to follow all of the recommendations they feel are possible as listed for Groups 1-3. The sensitivities can be minimized by first taking care to balance the Sympathetic Nervous System, primarily the adrenal gland function. This is best done by taking the oral tablet called Cytozyme-AD™ produced by Biotics Research, Inc. and available only through a doctor or through Jernigan Nutraceuticals. Cytozyme-AD is important because it will help gently reduce the hypersensitivity of your body. Taking Molybdenum™ is especially important since often chemical sensitivities are caused by the liver’s inability to effectively deal with any chemical, natural source or otherwise.
Another very effective way to be able to take a liquid remedy is to use it transdermally. To do this follow the instructions for Group 3 water bath dissipation of alcohol to get the alcohol out of the remedy. Take the resulting dosage and saturate a 3”x3” gauze of a Band-Aid brand or other bandage and place it over the affected area of the body. Some people can tolerate this better than taking the remedies orally. Transdermally applied liquid remedies are just as powerful if not more so, therefore caution is advised. The bandage should be replaced two times per day, and at the very least be worn to bed at night. This type of treatment works like the medicinal transdermal patches that are so popular these days.
A general rule of thumb is that anything you would eat or ingest can be used in an enema. Though unpleasant to some to consider, injecting a post-water bath liquid remedy into the rectum in a retention enema. A retention enema is done by putting a small amount of liquid into the rectum with the intent that it be held there without releasing it in an immediate bowel movement so that it can be absorbed into the body through the colon. Use the same amount as one would normally use if the remedy were to be taken orally. A small amount of water can be added to the dosage to aide in its delivery.”